Shack at 02/05/14

Shack at 02/05/14

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Yet another mod to the desk last evening. The latest addition didn't help much, however.

Thought I would get the shortwave listening section as 'up together' as possible whilst I'm waiting for my ultimate set up, ie something on the lines of 'Excalibur'.

The PCR-1000 is driven by HRD on the notebook. Audio out, speaker wise, is via a NES10-2 MK3 Noise cancellation unit, which in turn goes to a pair of amplified speakers (Seen either side of note book).

Audio to the Heil phones is from radio via an MFJ tunable DSP filter (underneath the notebook). This bought at a Rally about ten years ago.

That takes care of the audio out. Now for noise in. After months of deliberation re do I take a chance on the MFJ-1025 Noise cancelling unit or not, I decided to go for it.

Spent most of the evening trying different combinations of the antennas I have here to try and get some indication of 'phasing' out some background noise. I must admit I did expect to see a deffinate indication of something happening at some point of the 'phasing' adjustment, but dissapointingly I found pretty well damn all happening.

The only benefit, I found, was an apparent pre amp effect of weak Broadcast signals. At no time was the background noise 'hash' reduced, whatever I did.

What I did notice, was that what I asssume is the resulting noise from a neighbour's plasma tv would dissapear when the unit was turnd on at certain adjustments. This interference would only show up in between signals (broadcast transmissions) however, so no actual benefit was found there either.

All in all I wished I had gone for the alternative kit I had my eye on in the emporium, ie the Comet CAT-300 or LDG AT200PRO ATU's.

Oh well, can't win 'em all as they say. I expect I'll have another play later today, but I don't hold out much hope of being overjoyed with what I did come away with. Life's a bitch, right Hi!.

No comments:

Post a Comment